Assistant Level Design Director, Ubisoft Sherbrooke
11 days ago
As an Assistant Level Design Director at Ubi Sherbrooke, you'll help plan a content-rich world, and guide a team of level designers in bringing its quests and locations to life. As the connection between the design vision and your team members, you clearly communicate information that allows each one to grasp the intended experience you’re collectively trying to achieve.
Throughout production, your team can rely on your technical and creative expertise to navigate the level design process – and overcome any obstacles that come their way. While your designers focus on their areas of ownership, you pay attention to the larger picture. You ensure that every mission and place seamlessly combine to create an engaging journey for players to discover.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with core team members to develop the overall design vision.
- Brainstorm and research to plan the mission & world guidelines.
- Help outline the gameplay experience (landmarks, encounters, flow, rhythm, tension, pacing, variety, etc.).
- Participate in prototyping to experiment with designs & explore opportunities.
- Meet with your team to reinforce the design vision, set benchmarks, tackle setbacks, etc.
- Review and provide feedback on integrated work and gameplay features to achieve quality.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints to align all technical, design, graphic, and narrative features.
- Keep the core team up to date on progress and feasibility.
- Find solutions to issues uncovered by play testers and cross-functional teams (get to the root of problems to solve them).
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of experience in the video game industry or other relevant experience + 2 years of leadership
- Knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) & their limitations, 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, or ZBrush)
- A highly collaborative, innovative, creative, and empathetic spirit
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and mentorship skills
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio).
Ubisoft Sherbrooke is set to open its doors in 2022.
In the heart of Sherbrooke, this new studio will be composed of multidisciplinary teams dedicated to developing iconic franchises that engage millions worldwide.
We're looking for passionate creators who want to make exceptional games and deliver memorable experiences to our players. Joining Ubi Sherbrooke means playing a major role in the video game industry. It represents contributing to advancing Ubisoft's tech and shaping the economic and social landscape of the Eastern Townships. These are local efforts with positive, far-reaching impacts!
The world of work is changing. And so are we. Our universal vacation time, hybrid and flexible work, competitive benefits, and host of learning opportunities will allow you to reach your full potential. Here, work-life balance is at the core of our day-to-day.
At the Sherbrooke studio, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with an array of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Our desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve will contribute to the innovation and boundary-pushing that will result in our collective success.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.