Assistant Lead Unreal Engine Game Developer
9 days ago
In this position you will be assisting in the management and coordination of the C++ Programmers at Epoch Games, under our Lead Programmer. You may also be asked to assist with interviewing new potential Programmers. You will be working alongside our Operations Manager/Producer (who handles daily operations), our Lead Programmer (currently managing our Programmers) and our Coding Team (made up of Unreal Engine Game Developers, who work with C++ and Blueprint Scripting). You must be able to spare a fair amount of hours to be online to communicate with the Programming Team on a regular basis. Keep in mind that The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO) is being developed in Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4); strong knowledge of C++, and how C++ code interacts with UE4, is required . Knowledge of Git (for Source Control) isn't required, but it strongly recommended.
The ability to communicate and organize other Programmers is another key skill required in this position. It is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline, you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members outside of the department, such as our Artists, Animators, Riggers, Level Designers and Writers. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
Other duties include: attending Slack meetings (Slack is an instant messaging we communicate with), reporting the progress of the Programming team on a weekly basis and following team policies.
NOTE: This is not an Internship. We are not looking for short-term Interns. We are looking for long-term Volunteer Programmers who have previous experience developing in Unreal Engine with C++ experience.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
- C++ programming experience
- Unreal Engine 4 experience, and how C++ code interacts with it
- Providing clear and legible code
- The ability to review other C++ Programmers' code
- A fair amount of spare-time in order to manage and communicate with other Programmers
- Online communication, team-collaboration skills, and English fluency
- A passion for coding and a dedication to creating AAA quality games
Recommended Skill Requirements:
- Git Experience
- Previous Leadership and Management Experience
- Blueprint scripting experience in Unreal Engine
- At least 1 Unreal Engine project (using C++ code) prepared to show prior to the interview. If none, we can provide an assignment at the interview.
- Unreal Engine 4 ( https://www.unrealengine.com/register )
- Visual Studio Community Edition ( https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/ ) with Unreal Engine packages
- Git SCM and GIT LFS
Epoch Games is a volunteer-based, all-online, global game development team. We have no centrally-located headquarters and are unincorporated at this time. The founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: Although Epoch Games does have a formal office at the listed address, we have a fully-online team at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).