Art Outsourcing Manager (Asset Reviewer)
3 months ago
PerBlue is looking for an experienced Art Outsourcing Manager (Asset Reviewer) to assist in asset review and external partner management for our mobile games. We’re a quickly growing independent studio whose free-to-play mobile games have been played by millions of people around the world, including our recently launched Disney Heroes: Battle Mode game.
Our ideal candidate should have demonstrable experience with both 2D and 3D game art pipelines as well as game production processes. You should have experience with reviewing assets to ensure that they meet the quality expectations of key stakeholders, and should be an outstanding written and visual communicator.
You should also crave organization, process, and checklists. You should thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and be effective at juggling concurrent products, pipelines, and releases.
Note that this role leans more toward providing asset review (paintovers and detailed feedback) than project management.
You'll be assisting the Creative Director in ensuring that creative game assets from third parties are high quality, on time, and match overall art direction. You will also be the principal point of contact with third-party vendors, and will be responsible for developing and enriching these relationships. In this role, you will:
- Understand and communicate Creative Director’s vision and ensure that art assets maintain that vision
- Coordinate and provide clear, concise, and timely feedback on third party art assets through paintover and written feedback
- Run quality control checks on third party creative assets prior to integration
- Be the principal point of contact between third parties and studio stakeholders
- Work with the studio’s Creative Producer and Product Owners to meet deliverable timelines and identify risks
- Maintain best practices, naming conventions, approval gates, and integration for third party art assets
Requirements and Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience as an individual contributor on games projects in the art field
- Demonstrated technical literacy and experience troubleshooting quality and performance issues
- Demonstrated experience in game art asset creation in a variety of software packages including Maya, Zbrush, and Photoshop
- Critical eye for core artistic principals including color, composition, structure, and perspective
- Exceptional written and visual communication skills
- Highly organized and self driven with an attention to detail
Other Preferred Skills and Experience
- Exceptional portfolio demonstrating relevant work
- Experience managing multiple projects with competing priorities
- Proficiency with JIRA or other project management toolsets
- Proficiency with Shotgun or other asset management toolsets
- Demonstrated experience with Spine Animation tooling
- Previous experience in third party asset review
- Previous experience in an art director or lead artist role
- Previous experience teaching game art
Compensation and Benefits
We offer 6+ weeks of paid vacation and health, dental, and vision insurance as well as a well-matched 401k. We have a catered lunch program, a snack-stocked kitchen, and a refrigerator full of liquid refreshments. You'll get membership to our local hackerspace Sector67 and enjoy our regular socials. You'll be part of an energetic and collaborative environment, and work with a great team. We have flexible hours and are located in a vibrant neighborhood in beautiful downtown Madison .
PerBlue is an independent game development studio based in Madison, WI with a highly skilled team of amazingly talented people. We’ve been named a “Top Workplace” by the Wisconsin State Journal, a “Best Place to Work” by Madison Magazine, and “Madison's Favorite Tech Startup” by the Isthmus.
This is a full time position based in Madison, WI. Compensation is competitive and based on experience.