20 days ago
Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
We are seeking an experienced Art Manager to join our studio. This is a meaningful leadership role within our Art team. The Art Manager will lead our internal Art staff and our relationships with external art partners. The role reports to our Art Director and acts as their extension for handling the relationships and logistics of our Art organization.
The Art Manager has a strong artistic background coupled with outstanding leadership and management skills. They will be adept at interpreting artistic vision and concepts and conveying them to internal and external groups. This leader will evaluate and select art partners and control our Art Outsource budget. They review art submissions and provide written and verbal feedback to outsourced artists to ensure the generated art matches visual and performance targets. In leading our studio Art team, this person will partner with our Production team to guide Art staff workloads, provide additional vision-setting guidance on behalf of the Art Director, and manage career growth and development for the multi-disciplinary group.
What You'll Do
- Manage internal and external Art teams; provide day-to-day artistic feedback and mentorship.
- Direct the creation of art by third parties, acting as the primary point of contact for external art partners.
- Lead all aspects of Art Outsourcing budgets and schedules.
- Evangelize the Art Director’s artistic vision to the entire Art organization.
- Collaborate with other Art leadership to influence outcomes for all project art.
- Promote a culture of balanced critique with a focus on product quality.
What You'll Bring
- 5+ years experience in a role performing Art Direction, management, or art team leadership, ideally on a AAA digital game project.
- Experience from one or more full production cycles in running external Art Outsourcing partners.
- Experience managing the development and growth of an Art team on a large game project.
- Broad knowledge across multiple digital game art subject areas including Concept, Character, Animation, Environment, VFX, UI, Lighting, Shading, and Asset management.
- Thorough understanding of digital game development art pipeline creation for digital games.
- Experience guiding a creative team with emphasis on collaboration and constructive feedback.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of art processes and production pipelines.
- Excellent decision-making capabilities and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with Unreal Engine is a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.