12 days ago
Squanch Games is looking to grow our Art Department with a person whose unique career path has allowed them to speak to and/or participate in the world of Game Art, promoting quality, innovation, collaboration and drive on their teams. This person will work closely with the Art Director, the Art team (Concept, Character, Environment, Tech Art, Animation, FX) and Production department to make sure that the game hits the artistic vision without compromising the design while also encouraging fulfillment & growth of the team. A tall order!
At Squanch Games, we make stuff that people love: games that we want to play ourselves. We make experiences that we would like to be totally immersed in and enjoy for hours at a time, as well as shorter, crazier experiences that would be great to play with a group of friends... or possibly with stray homeless people that you invited in so you could feed and bathe them. If you share in these values, come join us!
- A leader and coach who cares about people and how they work, interact and grow. Able to equally spot and support the person ready for more responsibility and those that need more support in their growth. Knows how to handle a spectrum of experience. Promotes a culture of creativity, quality, accountability and collaboration.
- Works directly with the Art Director to help manage the team. Is proactive in keeping the team aligned to the vision.
- Empowers the team to deliver quality through coaching, critique and support.
- A lover of all of the ART STUFF. Cares about the past, present, and future of video game art. Draws inspiration and ideas from differing genres, games, styles and methods. Can spot quality work and debate why the work is (or is not) great.
- Doesn’t just identify problems, but also comes up with, pitches and implements creative solutions to overcome them. An amazing communicator who can provide structure in ambiguity.
- Be our canary in the coal mine - unafraid to identify and communicate where we stand and what may be in the way of success.
- Assess teams and the project to understand the scope of work and if the skill set matches. Identifies risks and areas of improvement to the Executive Producer and Art Director.
- Has a great understanding of game art pipelines to compliment and improve the studio’s current process. Able and willing to offer ideas for improvement in all aspects of the creative process: from pitch to prototype and from feedback to implementation.
- An artist with Lead experience or a Senior/Principal artist that would like to move into a leadership role.
- Shipped at least 1-2 titles as an artist (mid/senior/principal) or an art manager.
- Has a deep understanding of game art pipelines, tools, and processes.
- Excellent knowledge of 3D software (3DS Max, Zbrush, etc.)
- Strong skills in the Unreal Engine pipeline including material creation and level layout.