10 days ago
The Art Manager works closely with the Studio Director, Producers, and Principal Artists to ensure projects are successful through the effective management of the art team at both a professional (artistic capability and development) and personal (support and guidance) level.
As a senior member of the team, the Art Manager will be involved in projects across a wide range of styles and formats for our high-profile clients in games, film, TV and digital media. They will have an active role in ensuring projects are delivered through well-defined and implemented creative processes. They will also help identify issues and needs, then work with the team to implement solutions.
- Day to day line management of the art team, including monthly one-to-ones, appraisals, training/development plans, and pastoral care
- Manages all aspects of artist recruitment, including both full-time hires and subcontractors
- Works with Production and Principal Artists to establish the creative needs for each project, including process and resource
- Works alongside the Production team to ensure project milestones are met, including active involvement in project scheduling and resource allocation
- Finding solutions to creative and delivery issues, discussing solutions from a friendly but authoritative standpoint
- Works with the Principal Artists in guiding the art team to implement feedback and follow direction
- Part of a team responsible for quality control and consistency of art and design produced by the studio
- Works with the Production team and Principal Artists to write and deliver estimates and project proposals
- Management of art team software licenses (e.g. Adobe suite, 3D software)
- Management of all art-related training, including sourcing materials and courses, setting up training etc.
- Attend client calls to confidently discuss projects, from initial inquiry through to final delivery if needed
- Contributes to PR opportunities and events when required
- This candidate must come from a creative background and have experience of leading the artwork creation process in the entertainment industry (games, film, TV, VFX, digital).
- Working knowledge of 2D/3D software packages (e.g.Blender) (Note: The role does not require hands-on art production, but the ability to edit and manage artwork files would be desirable)
- A creative at heart, the candidate must have a proven track record of being an effective people manager and people person who can motivate and inspire the team to understand and realize their potential
- A positive, optimistic mindset that seeks out solutions when faced with problems and challenges
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), with the ability to confidently engage with the team and our clients
- Able to identify areas of weakness/risk and proactively strengthen prior to problems occurring
- A discerning eye for high quality art and design, with excellent attention to detail
- A driven, self-motivator who can work from their own initiative under the pressure of deadlines
- Must be patient and polite, but also able to judge moments where pushback is needed
- Enthusiastic about managing and developing digital artists
Education and Experience
- Multiple successful projects in art leadership / management positions (minimum 5 years’ experience)
- Solid understanding of game-specific art development process
- Experience of working in a rapidly changing agency-style environment to tight deadlines
- Comfortable with all degrees of ownership, from providing reference and brief-writing through to providing high-level feedback on art and design.
Atomhawk Canada provides all the following benefits/perks to its employees to ensure they are happy, healthy, and set up for a long, successful career with us:
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus scheme
- Flexible work schedule with both in-studio and optional from home working
- Extended health & wellness benefits
- 5% RRSP employer matching
- 21 days of paid vacation annually (+1 for every year with us up to a max. of 25)
- $300 health & fitness annual reimbursement
- Monthly and quarterly team activities (cinema trips, lunches/dinners, go karting, arcades etc)
- Free snacks and drinks in the studio