10 days ago
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you passionate about commissioning, graphic design and layout, and curating large volumes of art for great IP’s? Are you an inspiring partner for both freelance artists and internal creative teams? If so, good news!
We create role-playing game (RPG) books that make millions of people happy! Talented, collaborative Art Directors like you are key in doing so.
This role is responsible for art commissioning, graphic design via InDesign, and pre-press overview for books and other products related to the D&D brand. There will also be opportunities to oversee the creation of graphic elements, contribute to ancillary products, and create partner-facing materials.
What you'll do:
- Work with the D&D Design Team to Review and Create Art Descriptions for D&D products.
- Commission high volumes of needed illustration which will populate D&D books and ancillary products. Ensure that assets are created on-time and above-quality.
- Daily feedback cycles and approvals for our incredible stable of external fantasy illustrators.
- Periodically provide content direction for partners both internal and external by curating reference and assets as needed.
- Be a daily steward of content and quality as we strive to reach an ever-larger audience.
- Assist in content decisions and art direction for brand documents, presentations, and feedback.
- Assist with Interior Book Design, Layout tasks via InDesign, as required.
- Assist with Packaging Design, Presentations and Ancillary Product Design.
What you'll bring:
- 4+ years of experience working on an in-house creative team as a visual arts professional.
- Extensive knowledge of Pre-Press process for books and other printed materials.
- A portfolio of incredible fantasy artwork which you have led. This includes but is not limited to characters, creatures, environments, architecture, items, and costumes, equipment and gear.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a dynamic, fast paced environment that revolves around multiple product development calendars.
- A Bachelor's degree in visual arts or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Hard Skills: While this position is a growth opportunity, you will need some experience in Print and Production, solid knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, focused on deep knowledge of InDesign, and styles. Knowledge of D&D product lines and content is strongly preferred.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly, with strong attention to detail.
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced, iterative, and audience-focused manner
- A healthy relationship with feedback
- Excellent verbal and written communicator
D&D Team Principles:
- We are stewards of Dungeons & Dragons
- We believe Dungeons & Dragons brings people together
- We focus on growing Dungeons & Dragons’ audience
- We listen, improve, collaborate, and debate.
- We are inclusive and respectful.
- We create top-quality products.
- D&D Art Team: Work closely with the Art Department Lead, Art Directors, other Graphic Designers, and Concept Artists
- Book Leads: Collaborate with the Product Lead and Game Designers to shepherd the book or ancillary product to completion
- D&D Art Director: Work closely with an experienced Art Director, who will be giving direction and mentorship
- Producers: Work with Producers to create time and effort estimates, and contribute suggestions to our working processes
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.