This job might no longer be available.
9 days ago
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, a new technology that seamlessly blends physical and digital gameplay. In 2020, Ubisoft Toronto led the development of the newest game in the Watch Dogs franchise – Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto received praise for the tech and design work, including the play as anyone system, which allows the player to explore a rich and detailed rendition of future London. Now, in 2021, Ubisoft Toronto is on the verge of shipping Far Cry 6, the most ambitious Far Cry game to date, featuring the brilliant talent of Giancarlo Esposito. We’re also kicking off new projects and we can’t wait to share more details once we’re ready.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling industry-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where teams embrace innovative ideas and share knowledge with a genuine collaborative spirit.
On being an Art Director at Ubisoft Toronto
As an Art Director at UbiTO, you will be at the helm of the creation of a rich, captivating, meaningful world players will immerse themselves in. You are fundamental to a game’s development: a member of the core team, the connection between the creative vision and the artists, the voice of the art team, and a brand ambassador.
You are a visionary who motivates, inspires, and supports an artistic team to transform concepts into reality. As an empathetic leader, you not only provide your team with guidance but you let their encouraged ideas shape the artistic direction you set. You have the talent and known expertise to jump in and help produce visual content that is aligned with the creative vision and is, of course, AAA+ quality.
Thanks to your exceptional presentation skills, you can communicate your artistic vision to the brand management team to share with the public. You provide the visual guidelines for promotional material, ensuring consistency and bringing the in-game world to life.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
What you’ll do
- Work with the producer and core creative team to define the vision of a game.
- Partner with lead artists to develop the artistic tone (set the ambiance; explore locations, key moments, emotional contrasts, characters, etc.).
- Create the visual style guide of a game (put together mood boards, references, and descriptions).
- Coordinate and oversee the art team throughout production.
- Find the balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints.
- Provide leadership and constructive feedback to achieve quality.
- Collaborate with members of interdependent teams in all stages of development.
- Participate in recruitment to build the artistic team & foster their growth.
What it takes to make it
- A college diploma in Fine Arts or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of leadership experience in the video game industry
- Must have shipped a minimum of 1-2 AAA games
- Knowledge of Photoshop and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max)
- Understanding of art fundamentals and artistic culture
- A highly creative, collaborative, and empathetic spirit
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and mentorship skills
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done!
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
- A portfolio of your best work (provide a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation Assistance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and offer various health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community and is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team.
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, that's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
We encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.