2 months ago
People make games great. And at Survios, we know we can’t grow from an acclaimed VR studio to the world’s premier game developer and publisher without them. That’s why our most valuable investments aren’t in the next-generation technology we use to make our games or the swanky new HQ we’re building in Marina Del Rey, but in creating a hybrid workplace that seeks out talent across the globe, nurtures its people, and encourages fun. A workplace where every team member knows they’re respected and cared for. If you want to join a passionate team of developers driving toward the future of immersive gaming, we’d love to hear from you! Survios currently has an opening for a talented Art Director to create and manage art development on next-generation cross platform projects.
The Art Director's primary responsibility is to manage production artists in order to maintain the vision and quality bar set by the Game director and art director. The Art Director is also responsible for helping to advance and drive art styles as well as working with tech artists and programmers to establish technical guidelines. The Art Director is expected to be organized, with excellent communication, analytical, written, oral, and planning skills, as well as have practical experience in managing and directing game art departments. The Art Director manages the practical aspects of the art team such as art processes, tools integration, game asset budgets, task descriptions, and scheduling. They also work together with the Lead Programmer, Technical Art Director and Game Producer to identify risk in production pipelines.
- Ensure that all assets created by the art team and outsource studios conform to the style and technical guidelines.
- Establish a standard level of quality for asset creation while enforcing efficiency of polygon and texture usage.
- Ensure the art teams remain on track with scope, design goals, marketing, and other business requirements throughout production.
- Participate in and run meetings, reviews, and planning as part of effective communication with the team and outsourcing studios.
- Work closely with the production team to create schedules for the art department and outsourcing studios.
- Supervise the creation of outsource requests going out and review outsourced materials when they are delivered.
- Inspire, motivate, and mentor artists in best practices, processes, and procedures pertaining to production.
- Research and drive the implementation of new technology and workflows to improve art pipelines and elevate the art team’s knowledge base.
- Collaborate with Marketing to create and deliver high quality art assets in support of the game.
- Participate in the hiring of new artists.
- Inspire and mentor art teams, helping to forge a consistent high-quality bar for Survios products.
- Work together with management to ensure a healthy and stimulating environment for artists, providing opportunities for individual growth and learning.
- 10+ years as a professional artist or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of art management experience.
- Experience managing both internal and outsourced art teams.
- Experience creating a broad range of art styles in both 2D and 3D.
- knowledge and application of current processes and techniques, including, 3D modeling, shaders, lighting, and composition.
- Proficient with standard industry tools like Unreal Engine, Maya, Z-Brush, and Substance designer, with a high capacity to learn new tools.
- Have a strong understanding and background in UI design, flow, and usability.
- Have a passion for the industry and an understanding of market trends and styles.
- Able to collaborate closely with others and be an inclusive decision-maker.
- Self-driven, passionate, creative problem solver, and a great team first attitude.
- A deep passion for video games.
- Experience with VR game dev.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience with gameplay as well as cutscene animation pipelines.
- Experience with managing outsourced pipelines.
- Loves dogs.
Survios is an award-winning game studio that takes a holistic approach to development, merging our hardware, software, and games expertise to create unbelievable immersive game experiences. As we expand our focus from VR-Only to create games across all PC and Console platforms, we’re dedicated to leveraging our passion, expertise, and creativity to develop and publish the next generation of groundbreaking and immersive video games.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.