6 days ago
About Splash Damage
At Splash Damage, we’re dedicated to crafting team-based multiplayer games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork.
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studio
At Splash Damage, our Art Directors craft exciting creative visions, inspiring and motivating their Art teams, the wider project team and ultimately, the players. They deliver the best quality visuals possible collaborating with talent across all disciplines, ensuring that the game not only looks great but plays fantastically.
Splash Damage is looking for an experienced and exceptionally talented Art Director to join our growing teams of talented developers, helping us to create exciting games that are expertly built and enjoyed by millions.
- Define, own, articulate and champion the aesthetic vision for the project.
- Collaborate within the project’s leadership team to ensure that the game’s visuals serve game play and narrative needs while technical constraints are adhered to.
- Work with Production to plan and prioritise the project’s Art deliverables.
- Provide and sanity check task estimates and scope when required.
- Work to highlight and mitigate any issues that may put the project at risk.
- Review the project Art team’s output, giving actionable constructive feedback.
- Work with the Art Leads to ensure their teams create high quality content in keeping with the project's visual direction.
- Oversee the Art team’s pipelines and processes.
- Set quality expectations and provide visual benchmarks.
- Gather reference material, create style guides, mood boards and other documentation to support the visual direction.
- Manage, coach and develop the Art team ensuring their growth as a unit and as individuals.
- Delegate and assign work to team members, encouraging autonomy where possible.
- Actively participate in the recruitment of project team members.
- Act as a representative for the project and team to any external partners and stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain a healthy creative team culture.
- Shipped at least one title as a video game Art Director.
- A minimum of five shipped titles credited as an Artist.
- Strong foundational art skills including an excellent understanding of shape, form, composition and colour theory.
- A portfolio demonstrating artistic direction capability and high competency in 3D and/or 2D asset creation.
- Strong leadership and empathetic people management capability.
- Exemplary communication skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in plain English.
- The ability to solve creative problems intuitively through lateral thinking, pattern recognition, and innovative reasoning.
- Deep knowledge of various video game Art sub-disciplines.
- Solid comprehension of PBR workflows and their effect on final image quality.
- Proficiency with industry standard 3D modelling tools and painting/illustration software.
- Worked with industry standard asset tracking software such as Jira.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience shipping titles on the Unreal Engine 4+Skills with supporting software such as Zbrush, Substance Painter and Designer.
- A genuine interest in a wide range of visual media and art forms beyond video games.
- World building and narrative experience.
- Proven experience formulating and developing IP.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.