8 days ago
Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
About the Role
As an Art Director within our esteemed Brand & Entertainment team, you will be the visionary force behind our brand, steering various creative initiatives to expand our global fan engagement. Collaborating with Pillar Leads in franchise development, fellow art directors, designers, and partner agencies, you'll ensure seamless consistency and elevate our creative endeavors. Supported by the Lead Creative and Creative Director, your passion and innovative spirit will be key in generating and implementing ideas, crafting creative art briefs, and directing partner agencies and designers.
- Define, develop, and art direct the overall vision for creative projects in alignment with the studio and franchise's overarching art direction globally.
- Communicate and uphold the studio's artistic vision across disciplines, aligning it with marketing initiatives to meet strategic goals.
- Generate creative ideas based on briefs from the cross-ocean Brand and Entertainment team, and bring them to life from concept to execution.
- Contribute to art visualization through hands-on examples and provide clear guidelines to internal and external partners.
- Direct design teams, both internal and external, as well as partner agencies.
- Drive large projects, ensuring progress tracking and proactive communication with team members, managers, external partners, and producers.
- Exhibit determination and tenacity in managing multi-year projects.
- Lead workshops and brainstorming sessions for large-scale franchise initiatives.
- Support Art Directors and Communication Writers from conceptualization to production and delivery of concepts.
- Collaborate closely with Team leads, stakeholders in Redmond, internal sub-teams, and partner agencies.
- Foster a team culture of constructive feedback, creating a positive, collaborative, and creative environment.
- Extensive experience in stakeholder management within an international setting.
- Degree in a relevant field (e.g., Design, Art Direction).
- Minimum of 8 years of industry experience in similar roles, preferably in the gaming sector.
- Artist and/or art-related industry experience.
- Professional-level proficiency in Photoshop.
- Creative concepting abilities.
- Versatility in art styles and expressions.
- Knowledge and appreciation of pop culture.
- Ability to provide direction and feedback to artists.
- Experience working across multiple projects.
- Thrives in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Awareness of market trends.
- Team collaboration expertise.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience working with external partners.
- Expertise in the world of Minecraft.
If you're a visionary Art Director with a passion for gaming and a desire to make a lasting impact on the industry, we invite you to join us on this exciting journey. Apply now and let your creativity shape the future of gaming!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!