Art Director - Unannounced AAA project (Stockholm)
6 days ago
Avalanche Studios Group and its division Avalanche Studios are crafting our next cutting-edge AAA open-world fantasy game. Avalanche Studios is the division dedicated to ambitious, externally-published AAA games like Just Cause, Mad Max, and Rage 2.
If you are passionate about stylized art in open worlds and want to be part of a team that is creating the next generation of immersive fantasy games in Avalanche Studio Group style, we’d love to hear from you!
As an Art Director you will report to the Executive Producer and be part of the core project team. Creatively you will work with the Game Director and Director Group and lend them your expertise in visual design to help them make decisions and direct the overall project. You will also be collaborating across disciplines with discipline leads, producers and the product owner.
You will be the team leader for art and visual direction. That means you will be expected to guide and provide constructive feedback to a group of artists made up of multiple different art specialists. You will work with production to build and validate long-term plans and the priorities both for your team and any outsourcing needs you may have. This is a hands-on role and the AD should look to contribute where they can alongside troubleshooting for their team. You will be ultimately responsible for the visual direction and visual quality of the game.
You will work closely with the Lead Artist to ensure the future success of asset creation to help continue our high quality throughout development.
Your aim will be to carry forth the artistic vision of the game from concept and prototyping into launch and beyond. The art Director as a role combines traditional elements of direction along with those of being a lead for the art team.
This is a rare opportunity for the candidate to join a new team with the chance to make a huge impact on the game from the very beginning. You will play an instrumental and leading role in a small but strong team, making high-quality game experiences. If you are a person who likes being challenged and stimulated in an ambitious and talented environment this position will suit you perfectly!
- Experience as an Art Director or Lead Artist on at least 2 AAA titles
- Experience working as a mentor, manager, or similar role
- Excellent verbal, visual and written communication skills including artistic feedback
- Ability to define and champion an artistic vision and maintain it consistently both in your own and other people’s work
- Ability to provide visual and written briefs for artists
- A skilled artist with an impressive portfolio
- Excellent skills in Maya, Photoshop, Z-brush or equivalent
- Experience working on an action/adventure or open-world title
- Knowledge of gaming field trends and gaming design requirements and limitations
- Broad range of experience or knowledge on a wide range of art specialisms and styles
- Ability to create a range of high and low poly objects such as props, buildings and organic objects(rocks, trees, etc)
- A good understanding of lighting, VFX/particle systems, renders passes, and compositing
- Understand game design practice, particularly mission and levels, game experience and an active player
- Knowledge and understanding of anatomy - with an eye for accurate proportions, form, and details
- Knowledge and understanding of various natural and urban landscapes - with an eye for accurate proportions, form, composition, and details.
We provide goals, instead of instructions, and the opportunity to do the best work of your career.
At Avalanche Studios Group, we believe in worlds beyond limits, we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Everyone at Avalanche Studios Group has a shared responsibility to create an open and inclusive work environment where everyone is treated equally and with respect. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion and creativity.
How to Apply
We will only consider candidates who have submitted their CV and who can work from the office in Stockholm, a few days a week.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
To apply for this position please register below. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications on a rolling basis. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only.