Art Director (Japanese Bilingual Required) (Universes Beyond)
6 days ago
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre-defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
How would you like to work with some of the most exciting artists in the industry on outstanding illustrations? Magic: The Gathering, the world’s first and best-in-class Trading Card Game, is hiring a new Art Director (Bilingual, Japanese/English) to work on our growing Universes Beyond product line!
Are you a curious, highly engaged, and experienced visual creative who is immersed in fantasy art and passionate about pop culture? Are you interested in working within an established brand/IP while constantly looking to grow the brand’s audience and visual expression? If so, please apply today!
What You'll Do:
- Commission a high volume of artwork: identifying freelance illustrators for each piece, providing continuous direction on individual pieces, and maintaining solid relationships with those partners.
- When needed, lead the internal team on Japanese IPs.
- Drive creative communication, collaboration, and vision with internal and external partners for projects you lead.
- Research and understand partner brand IP(s), translate references into customized style guides, and successfully art direct to the specifications of external partners’ brands.
- Lead in-house and external illustrators in crafting concept art assets.
- Present creative direction and provide constructive feedback in meetings and stand-up critiques.
- Confidently present to and collaborate with external partners in meetings.
- Facilitate creative discussions with Japanese IP partners, as needed.
What You’ll Bring:
- Fluent in both Japanese and English.
- 4+ yrs commercial art illustration and/or commissioning Art Director experience.
- Experience talking to external partners, agencies, or businesses.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, attention to detail, and comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Ability to demonstrate ownership over commissioned work and concept art, and to synthesize game mechanics, brand knowledge, and creative goals into clear and concise direction
- A portfolio demonstrating strong creative vision.
- Ability to operate with tact and communicate with respect while collaborating with external partners/approvers.
- Strong familiarity with Japanese pop culture IPs and business practices.
- You keep current with Japanese illustration market/talent and have an interest in discovering diverse, emerging artists.
- A passion for pop culture and a pulse on current entertainment industry trends.
Nice to Have:
- Understanding of Magic as both a game and a brand is a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.
$96,960 — $168,480 USD