Art Director [Anno] (f/m/d)
5 days ago
Anno is a critically acclaimed and award-winning franchise, offering a rich city-building experience and providing players ample opportunity to create huge metropolises, plan efficient logistics networks, explore and settle new lands and dominate their opponents by diplomacy, trade or warfare.
As Art Director you’ll guide the art team in creating a rich, captivating, and meaningful world players will immerse themselves in. You are fundamental to the game’s development: a member of the core team, the connection between the creative vision and the artists, the voice of the art team, and a thought leader.
As a vision champion, you not only provide your team with direction, but also with creative space for them to incorporate their ideas and use them to help shape the artistic direction. You motivate, inspire, and support the team to transform concepts to reality. You have the talent and expertise to help the teams produce visual content that is aligned with the creative vision and of AAA quality.
You can communicate your artistic vision to the team and stakeholders, and you will act as visionary who elevates, inspires, motivates, and supports the art team.
What you will do:
- Work with the core creative team to define and drive the artistic vision and the art style of the project
- Build an efficient art team and create an atmosphere of creativity, curiosity and collaboration even beyond the art discipline to deliver the best overall game experience
- Be the link and visionary for different art disciplines like Concept Art, 3D, Level Art and Tech Art
- Shape the look of buildings, characters, environments and other game elements in the desired style of the IP
- Create briefs, reference footage, guides and style documentation for internal and external art teams
- Help produce visual content, set best practices and benchmarks in AAA+ quality
- Give feedback on the realization of the game art and ensure its exceptional artistic quality
- Be the key communication channel between art, design and programming
- Collaborate with external partners from all over the world to ensure consistency in style and quality
- Collaborate closely with the technical teams to ensure an art vision which respects engine constraints and budgets, while also achieving excellence in visuals and realization
- Excel at collaboration across all departments, at all stages of development;
- Participate in recruitment to build the artistic team & foster their growth
What you bring:
- 10 years of experience in crafting video game art
- 5 years as a lead artist or art director
- Knowledge of Photoshop and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max / Blender)
- Problem solver mind-set with excellent follow through
- Proactive attitude and efficient work methods
- A keen eye for composition, color, lighting and mood
- Great communication and presentation skills combined with a positive attitude
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and to deliver high quality within a short timeframe
- Exceptional knowledge of next gen asset creation workflows with the ability to modify and improve them
- High quality standards with the ability to communicate them to the team
- Natural curiosity and creativity with the ability to explore new ideas and learn from others
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Great communication skills and a positive attitude
- Fluent in English, both verbally and written
- Having a cinematic background is a plus
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A cover letter including your earliest starting date, expected salary and why you would like to join us
- A portfolio or demo reel of your work with your application*
*You may do so by providing a link to an online portfolio (preferred), or attaching documents to your resume.
All portfolios must contain a detailed shot breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, are responsible for in your reel, portfolio etc. The portfolio should further contain relevant examples of your work (Concept Art, Style Guides, etc.)
- Relocation Support: We offer financial support in form of a cash allowance and assistance with accommodation search and settle-in support via our relocation partner, for international candidates we offer visa assistance.
- 26 days paid vacation per year. Additionally, you will get half a day off on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and approximately 11 bank holidays in the Mainz region.
- Flexible Working Hours: We have core working times between 10:00 AM – 04:00 PM and the distribution of the other hours is up to you.
- Opportunities for growth on your desired career path: Leadership training, workshops, guest speakers from the industry, online Ubisoft learning platform, coaches, Experts and library.
- Company Pension Scheme. We offer an attractive scheme through salary sacrificing in which the employer also matches contributions
- Up to 350€ childcare support per child per month. In addition, we also offer 5 ‘care for ill children days’ per child per year.
- Discounted Games. We regularly order Ubisoft Games for super cheap prices for our employees.
- Gym Subsidy. We contribute 50% (up to a maximum amount of 25€) towards the monthly cost of a gym membership of your choice.
- Monthly Mobility Budget. 80€ per month that can be used on bicycle lease, parking spot rental or public transportation ticket.
- Our Ubisoft Blue Byte Academy offers multiple opportunities for you to discover your full potential and develop yourself in various areas.
- English and German classes for free. Main language in the studio is English.
- Free fresh Fruit, Coffee, Tea and Water. Enjoy fresh fruit and beverages in our office.
We offer a highly motivating challenge for team players interested in showing personal initiative in an innovative and international company. If you are passionate about video games and would like to join an industry leader - please apply via our career portal.
For further information, please check https://mainz.ubisoft.com/en/
About Ubisoft Mainz
The teams at Ubisoft Mainz are engineering some of Ubisoft’s biggest blockbusters. Operating from a historic city in the heart of Germany, the studio develops games pushing the limits of the genre like the acclaimed Anno 1800 and lends decades of expertise to AAA co-development projects like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege and the upcoming Beyond Good And Evil 2. More information at mainz.ubisoft.com.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.