Animator (Associate to Mid) - Overwatch 2
7 days ago
Job Title:Animator (Associate to Mid) - Overwatch 2
Animator - Overwatch 2
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: Irvine, CA
Blizzard Entertainment’s Overwatch 2 team seeks an animator ready to step up and breathe life into a menagerie of heroes for our new gaming universe. Join the team creating Blizzard’s sequel to its insanely popular first-person shooter (FPS) game!
Norman McLaren famously said, “animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.” Our character animators readily agree. Done right, movement communicates a character’s purpose, thoughts, and emotions. Consider the graceful yet deadly dance of a demon hunter, pirouetting through the hordes of hell, or the belly-busting laughter from a drunken dwarf as he topples from his stool. Despite wildly different personalities, each character and their story are brought to life through the imagination and skills of a talented animator.
An animator like you…Your skills as an artist, technician, and gamer paired with your exceptional understanding of traditional and 3D animation techniques will be the creative spark for a bevy of new heroes, villains, and creatures. Your technical skills and ability to problem solve will come in handy as you work closely with gameplay engineers to develop the technology that powers your creations. As a gamer you’ll have a very close relationship with the game designers where you’ll create a perfect marriage of design and animation, resulting in a truly phenomenal game play experience.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers, and designers whose sole goal is to make a truly immersive, compelling game experience.
If you’re ready to jump in and help us grow the Overwatch universe, we want to hear from you!
- In this role, you will conceive of and create animations for real time game assets – including prototypes to help designers and engineers with earlier visualization.
- You will work in collaboration with artists, designers, and engineers to ensure assets meet gameplay and technical needs.
- Working with the lead animator and other team members, you will help us evolve our tools and pipeline.
- As part of the larger Overwatch team, you will be an active participant in team art discussions, critiques, and reviews.
- You will need a demo reel showing your skill in animating the human bipedal figure as well as other organic forms and a good understanding of traditional animation principles and how they can be used to enhance gameplay.
- 3+ years’ experience in game development animating characters using Maya or an equivalent 3D program
- You should have a passion for animation and strong communication skills to enable you to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary art team to help bring characters to life within the vision of the game design.
- Pluses for the role include having shipped a AAA game as an animator and/or 2D animation skills.
- Skills in one or more related disciplines – illustration, modeling, rigging, VFX, or technical art.
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Resume and portfolio reel demonstrating relevant animation skills required. Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g., website, blog, or online reel).
- You may be asked to complete an animation test as part of the selection process.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $29.81 - $55.14 Hourly. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.