8 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Director, Animation position is highly proficient in all aspects of high-quality animation. This person needs to be an organized and diligent leader, strategic, and thoughtful in all interactions. They need to be dedicated, focused, self-motivated, and guide teams to produce high-quality animation within a variety of animation styles. They will have experience with high-end character production and have a deep understanding of a motion capture pipeline.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities:
- Raise the bar for the excellence and quality of our animations
- Design, develop, and maintain technical animation tools & pipelines to deliver facial and body animations for cutting edge characters
- Work to drive and efficiently deliver world class real-time character and animation performance
- Create real-time sequences from conception to integration
- Work closely with Directors, Leads, and other stakeholders to ensure a consistent and unified visual style
- Identify potential risks to delivery timelines
- Provide final approval on animation assignments in specific instances
- Train and acclimate new animators to the team
- Confirm continuity between animator assignments
- Have a full understanding of all animation tools being used on the project – both internally and outsource-developed
- Educate the team regarding current animation techniques
- Assist in the documentation and maintenance of up-to-date processes for the animation team
- Additional responsibilities will be assigned as needed.
Required Knowledge / Skills:
- PEOPLE: Proactive self-starter, but also a team player. Strong interpersonal, facilitation, oral and written communication, and project management skills a must. Ability to listen and understand various viewpoints and help guide diverse global workgroups to common solutions. Strong cultural sensitivity and sensibility a must.
- PROCESS: Process knowledge, attention to detail, timely follow-up and strong organizational skills.
- TECHNICAL: Understanding of the technical aspects of product and game development. Ability to identify other business units with necessary technical knowledge and cultivate relationships.
- PLANNING / IMPLEMENTATION: Implementing projects in partnership with co-workers, global development teams, RHQ business units and global Sony divisions. Strong capability to multitask and prioritize. Ability to proactively handle shifting priorities and requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent direct work experience) and a minimum of 10 years of product development or related industry experience.
- Must have strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Ability to apply creative solutions within business constraints.
- Must be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to adapt to changing priorities efficiently and effectively.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills in handling complex situations with the ability to negotiate and recommend solutions.
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook or equivalent E-mail client, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Internet Explorer or equivalent Web Browser required. Familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft PowerPoint or Microsoft Visio a plus.
- Project management or product development experience in entertainment or videogame industry required.
- You must be a passionate gamer with a deep understanding of core game mechanics and the impact and influence of design decisions. strong opinions on overall quality of execution and a deep understanding for what it takes to execute at a AAA quality level is a must.
- Candidates must be proactive and willing to take direction.
- Creativity and ‘out of the box’ thinking is strongly encouraged.
Required Experience / Education:
- 12+ years of animation and product development or equivalent / related industry experience
- Two or more published AAA titles, at least one of which must have been as a Lead or Senior Animator during the entire development cycle
- Expert knowledge of Maya
- Strong background in AAA facial animation workflows
- Knowledge of aesthetics of character animation and movement
- Knowledge of pipelines, workflows, and toolsets used in key frame and motion capture animation
- History of mentorship within the entertainment industry
- Experience in working with Unreal Engine 5
- Bachelor’s Degree (4-year college) or equivalent direct work experience
Preferred Experience / Education:
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
$148,400 — $222,600 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.