This job might no longer be available.
Animation Director - Assassin's Creed Brand
1 month ago
When you’re an Animation Director at Ubi Québec, you define how characters, environments, and objects will move within a world that’s stylistically believable and consistent.
You shape a game’s overall animation vision and rally your team of animators behind it. You give them the guidance and context they need to grasp the overall style you’re trying to achieve, and then allow them the freedom to experiment and iterate.
While your animators build a world from the ground up, you keep an eye on form and function from a player's perspective, ensuring that the look and feel of movement reach their intentions: to support gameplay, convey the narrative, create a connection, and make for an immersive, engaging, seamless experience.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with your fellow core team members to develop the overall game + unify your visions.
- Brainstorm and research to define the animation style.
- Connect riggers and animators to the animation vision by providing them with visual benchmarks, references, and training.
- Partner with technical directors to establish pipelines and workflows + select tools to achieve aesthetic quality and technical functionality.
- Cast actors + guide them during mocap sessions.
- Test the game (very often) to get a sense of the animations’ feedback and a feel for the game in general.
- Sync up with collaborative teams (especially game design, art, and narrative) to ensure a cohesive game.
- Review and validate integrated work + provide mentorship and constructive feedback to develop a polished, harmonious, quality visual animation style.
- Participate in recruitment to build and grow your team + foster their professional development.
What you bring
- Around 7 years of animation-related experience (on a first-person shooter game, a huge plus) + 3 years of leadership
- Deep-rooted knowledge of animation software like Motion Builder, 3DS Max, and Maya
- An understanding of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) and technical constraints
- A thorough grasp of interdependencies + consideration for how your choices impact other departments
- A degree in 3D Animation, Computer Graphics, or related training
- Extensive video game culture + a keen eye for detail to take animation to the next level
- Flexibility to adapt to and overcome any hurdles and curveballs that come your way
- The ability to make a vision accessible and ensure that it is well understood by all
- Solid communication, presentation, mentorship, and interpersonal skills
- A collaborative, creative, and innovative spirit
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your experience, education, skills, and any games shipped
Have access to benefits that make a real difference in your day-to-day life :
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer who believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where gamers and their teams can thrive and express themselves. It's about taking on exciting challenges, being at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and being part of the future of entertainment.
*Please note that the response time and analysis of applications will be longer from December 20, 2021 to January 17, 2022 due to the holidays. Please be assured that your application will be considered and that a member of the recruitment team will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you and happy holidays.
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and they also have just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.