Advanced Senior UI Artist
15 days ago
WHO WE ARE
We’re ArenaNet—we’ve created a studio that builds online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best games of all time.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are currently looking for a top-notch professional artist that can create beautiful hand-crafted art and visual elements that will be used throughout the Guild Wars 2 user interface. This is a full-time position that will involve working directly with the Lead UI/UX Designer and art development team to create game-ready art assets such as: inventory icons, character skills, key art for our in-game store, worldmap illustrations, and various supporting visual elements used throughout the game.
As a member of the UI team, you will work closely with our Art Director and UI Lead to deliver and maintain a high-quality UI experience. You will be involved in and responsible for concepting, creating, and delivering high-quality art at a consistent pace that seamlessly fits within the well-established style of Guild Wars 2. You will participate in regular review sessions with the various creative teams to collaborate and continue our tradition of an exceptional UI experience for our players.
Past experience must include at least 10+ years as a User Interface artist or directly relevant art role contributing to the creation of high-quality game assets in a professional development environment, with at least three shipped AAA games under your belt. Your online portfolio must display a variety of art samples which demonstrate a strong understanding of artistic and illustration principals, an expert level of proficiency with Photoshop or similar 2D art software, and the capacity to create game-ready art necessary for a User Interface Artist role.
The ideal candidate is an expert visual artist with a passion for UI and games development. You should possess a high level of ability in 2D art and able to achieve a painterly, illustrative style that Guild Wars is known for. You should be a champion for your discipline and thrive in a highly collaborative environment where all opinions matter. As an Advanced Senior UI Artist, you should be comfortable both providing and seeking out feedback from your peers on a regular basis. You should always be striving to learn and hone your craft and be capable of assisting the UI Lead in mentoring and helping other members of the team do the same. You need to be a fantastic communicator who can work at a high level, with autonomy, when needed. The right candidate will also be a great team player.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- 10+ years of experience in professional game development art roles relevant to UI art.
- At least three shipped AAA games on Console or PC platforms (MMO or Action RPG genre experience is a plus)
- An online portfolio showcasing your best work and your range of relevant skills.
- Expert-level proficiency with Adobe Photoshop.
- A proven track record in developing exceptional UI assets from start to finish.
- Strong Visual arts skills (painting, illustration, color theory, composition, etc).
- Strong Graphic arts skills (typography, layout, visual hierarchy, etc)
- Knowledge of common game development pipelines and processes.
- A willingness to pick-up and learn our in-house tech and tools.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- A near obsessive eye for detail.
- A strong passion for playing and developing games, as well as awareness of trends and history of games.
- Experience in mentoring and fostering creativity in other growing artists.
- Great interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and experience with motion graphics or VFX.
- Experience and/or proficiency with one or more 3D modeling tool used in the gaming industry.
- History of working with or managing outsourcing art.
This position is based out of our Bellevue, WA office. Due to COVID-19 we have temporarily transitioned to a work from home model, but anticipate returning to the office in the coming months on a hybrid basis.