12 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross , Susan G. Komen , American Cancer Society , and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators , San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work , Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance , Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies , a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50 , one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups , and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
Reporting into the Controller, the Accounting Manager will play a key role in leading and scaling the accounting infrastructure and processes at Skillz. The ideal candidate is a motivated leader with strong experience in operational accounting and ability to thrive in a high-growth environment. This role will be hands-on, interacting and collaborating with People, FP&A and Legal teams to ensure the accurate and timely execution of accounting functions and reporting of results. The Accounting Manager has a proven track record as an effective people leader, can anticipate and surface issues, solve problems and recommend solutions, while exercising good business judgement and risk management.
What You Will Do :
- Manage daily accounting activities to ensure compliance with the U.S. GAAP, internal policies, SOX controls and external audits
- Shared ownership of full cycle general ledger financial close process and related activities to ensure complete and accurate financials following U.S. GAAP, including managing/reviewing close activities such as journal entries and account reconciliations within the established close timeline
- Help manage the preparation of monthly financial reporting for management and U.S. GAAP presentation, including tie-outs to underlying detail
- Help improve efforts to streamline Accounting operations and improve the quality of monthly, quarterly, and annual closes, and internal controls
- Help make decisions on continuous development of accounting policies and standard operating procedures, assist with system implementation or conversions
- Partner with FP&A and Financial Reporting teams around monthly variance analysis, management reporting, and GAAP reporting
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting, Finance or relevant field
- 6+ years of relevant industry experience, including people management experience
- CPA required
- Prior Big 4 public accounting experience highly preferred
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP and SOX/internal controls
- Proven ability to lead, delegate and mentor a team
- Experience with NetSuite, Coupa
- Detail oriented and analytical
- Ability to operate in a high growth, deadline driven environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.