This job might no longer be available.
3d Character Artist
8 days ago
Do you love the thrill taking a character from concept, through modelling, texturing, and maybe even animating? Do you love making characters feel larger than life, and coming up with novel ways to make them unique & distinct. We’re looking for an awesome 3d Character Artist for our team who will help us bring a new contemporary stylized IP to life. If that sounds like your jam, please read on!
- Creating 3d assets ranging from humanoids, objects, and maybe even some environment work if you’re feeling ambitious via modelling, texturing, UV mapping etc.
- Leverage your understanding of platform limitations to create low poly assets that are rig and performance friendly.
- Use your experience and intuition to push character quality to be the best it can be.
- Work with our artists, designers, and engineers to craft the best characters that work within our games scope.
- Contribute design ideas for our first prototypes, everyone on our team will help shape the games we build as a studio
- 2+ years experience creating 3d assets for video games, film, or television
- Knowledge of human and creature anatomy for modelling
- Understanding of game topology with rigging and animation in mind
- A strong sense of proportion and composition and a great eye for surface, color, and detail.
- Efficient use of UV layouts with ability to edit for the highest visual payoff.
- Proficient with Maya, Z-Brush, Photoshop etc
- Effective working autonomously. We’re still small, but even as we get larger we don’t plan on having someone look over your shoulder every day; we want you to feel comfortable allocating your time wisely and making good on your commitments.
- Strong analytical skills that aid in understanding and articulating what makes games great.
- Excited to work as part of a small knit team, and your teammates are excited to work with you.
- Genuine ambition and excitement to rise to the challenge of trying to help us take on the titans of the industry.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with modern game engines (Unreal/Unity)
- Experience making assets for mobile/pc play
Things you don’t need:
- A fancy big name studio on your resume. We care far more about your personal competency and potential, not where you’ve worked.
- A degree (unless needed for immigration) - some of the best creatives we’ve ever worked with never finished school.
- Dental/Vision/Pharmacare coverage. Canada has universal health care, so you and your family will be covered by OHIP.
- Open paid-time-off policy with 2 week minimum enforced by the company. We trust you to take time off when you need it.
- Competitive salaries (benchmarked to Canada) that value your experience and dedication.
- Stock options in an early stage startup. We want you to be motivated to stick with us for the long haul.
- Annual game stipend. We can all learn so much from new games coming out.
Odyssey Interactive is a Canadian Game Development studio formed around the mantra of building "Games you Live". We believe that the best games are the ones you think about long after you put them down, that help you feel like you're a part of something bigger than yourself, and that you believe you can invest in for years to come.
We're on a mission to build games with the same emotional potential as the games we fell in love with growing up, but designing them with a mobile first mindset. We believe the next generation of gamers is going to the be most connected, the most diverse, and the most relentlessly driven generation this world has ever seen - and for them phones aren't just a tool, they're an extension of their body. We believe they deserve the same quality of games that we feel in love with so many years ago.
The founding team is comprised of 4 former leads from Riot Games where we led teams such as a the League of Legends Balance Team, the League of Legends Champion Design team, and the development of Teamfight Tactics - and are excited to try to build a world class studio with an awesome team...a team that you could be a part of!