3D Hard Surface Artist
22 days ago
Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, supporting development of Fallout 76, and developing unannounced titles including partner projects and internal IP. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
Interested? Let's talk about who we're hiring for:
SkyBox Labs is looking for a talented 3D Hard Surface Artist to join our team to work on an exciting, unannounced co-development partnership. This coveted AAA action RPG is a fan favourite around the world!
As a Hard Surface Artist on this project, you will primarily be responsible for designing weaponry in a wide variety of styles, ranging from sci-fi to magic. You will collaborate closely with the team to develop exciting high-quality weapons, which will be used by hundreds of thousands of players world wide.
We are looking for someone highly creative, and passionate about creating iconic gaming experiences. Someone who is able to help us realize our visions, and who is excited to help our players' dreams come true. If you are an experienced weapons artist who is excited to make an impact on a beloved game, we want to hear from you!
A snapshot of your role:
- Analyze weapon concepts and ideas in order to translate those concepts into high quality weapon models
- Collaborate with our Concept, Design, Animation and Engineering teams to get input on style, functionality and limitations
- Create textures for a variety of PBR shader functions
- Create low poly and high poly proxy weapons models
- Ensure that all assets created meet the technical and aesthetic quality standard set by the Art Director
Sound like you? This is what we're looking for:
- 3+ years of experience as a 3D Hard Surface Artist designing weapons on a shipped game title
- In depth knowledge of surface development, proportion and mechanical functionality
- Demonstrated proficiency in Maya or 3D Max, Zbrush or Mudbox, Blender, Substance and Photoshop
- Experience with high to low poly pipelines
- Ability to adapt to a variety of visual styles
- Strong communication skills and an eagerness to participate in a collaborative design process
- Experience with Substance Designer and Marvelous Designer
- Traditional art skills
Please note, only those who submit a portfolio or a demo reel will be considered for the role.
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs:
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration, and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Flexible Hybrid and Remote Work Models:
With the goal to provide the best possible work environment for all, the majority of our team is working in a flexible hybrid work model from Vancouver and Victoria. The opportunity to work permanently remotely across Canada is also available for certain designated roles.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Only candidates that reside in Canada or are willing to relocate will be considered for this role. Additionally, although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.