3D Generalist - Modeler/ Texture (Contract)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
9 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a 3D Generalist who has experience with texture, environments and props. If you like building key pieces for beautiful cinematics, this is the position for you!
- Create and manage 3D models, shaders and texture maps, to match concepts, art direction and design
- Adapt work methods to the project pipeline to meet technical constraints.
- Work in partnership with Lighters and Compositors to ensure shots are delivered to the very highest standard.
- Stay up to date on best practices in the movie/video game industry, work to integrate them into the project.
- Work on tasks with clear direction, with and without supervision.
- Help establish suitable working techniques for the members of your team and work in conjunction with the production team (Artistic Director, Producers, CG supervisor) to establish schedules and technical requirements
- 4+ years of Modeling, texturing & LD experience.
- Experienced with Photoshop.
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency with Maya (modeling in Maya, high and low poly and UVing)
- Proven 3D modeling expertise in both hard surface and organic matter
- Understand physically based rendering and authoring/application of texture maps (roughness, normal maps).
- Basic knowledge of Substance Painter / Substance Designer for texture creation
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.).
- Knowledge of Zbrush (for character work)
- Basic Mel scripting inside of Maya
- Experience playing modern RTS games such as Starcraft and Company of Heroes, as well as MOBA's like League of Legends.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.