18 days ago
Founded in early 2019, Sumo Leamington is a member of the award-winning Sumo Digital family. We’re one of Sumo’s nine game development studios located across the UK and India, and our goal is to build and grow an industry-leading team here in Royal Leamington Spa.
Managed by industry veterans with ground-breaking titles under their belts, the studio needs to hire the right colleagues to meet our exciting objectives. Whether you’re an industry veteran or straight out of university, we could have a career-defining role for you. If you want to create great games that people will play for years to come, and be there at the beginning of something we know will be truly special, join our team. We look forward to speaking with you!
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo Leamington, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work: Diversity Award; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Leamington is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for an extremely talented and highly motivated 3D Artist to join us at Sumo Leamington.
What's the role?
- Create stunning 3D models and 2D assets in a range of styles
- Implementing artwork in the game and being responsible for getting the best results
- Working with the art lead to deliver the creative vision ensuring assets match the art style and follow technical guidelines
- Collaborate with the Art team as well as Code and Design
- Explore, collate and discuss visual material to define and improve the visual style and contents of the game
To be successful you will have:
- At least 3 years games industry experience
- Proficiency in 3D packages such as 3dsmax, Maya and Zbrush along with Substance Painter and Designer
- The flexibility to work in a range of art styles and have a portfolio demonstrating this
- Solid knowledge of platforms and their limitations from PC, console to mobile
- In-depth knowledge of shaders and materials are a bonus
- Can do attitude with confidence in your ability to work to a brief whilst be able to use your own intuition to fill in the gaps
- Experience working with Unity, Unreal experience is a bonus
- The ability to create supporting assets such as animations and visual effects where needed
- An open approach to collaboration and feedback from others
What do we want from you?
A passion for game development, bringing creative visions to life with artwork that enhances gameplay. A growth mindset, always thinking about how we can be better. Be “T” shaped supporting the overlap of your work with other specialists. Excellent communication skills go without saying, but in today’s world it’s more important than ever. Never be afraid to ask questions and to help your teammates with answering theirs.
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams better and pave the way to greater innovation and creativity in our work. We already have a great mix of diversity with the Leamington team, and we're committed to continuing that trend, in fact in 2020 GI.biz
awarded Sumo Leamington with the Best places to work diversity award, we’re proud to be leading the way, and will continue to do so. We welcome ALL application s.
As part of the Sumo Digital family, we’re able to offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo (this led to the recently released Snake Pass, so it’s a genuine commitment to allowing staff to pitch ideas upwards to the highest levels).
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.