3D Artist - The Sims
17 days ago
Locations: This is a fully remote position, available across most European locations.
Welcome to Maxis, home to tinkerers, craftspeople, and storytellers. Our drive is to inspire everyone to make a better world through creative play. As the developer of the Sims, we create games and experiences for millions of people around the world and are always looking for new ways to inspire our players. Maxis is a place where you can do what you love and help others grow while doing it; a place where your unique voice can be heard and seen. We put creativity and inclusivity at the core of our work and don't settle for seeing the world only as it is, but strive to build a world as it could be. Read on to see how you can join our team and dream big.
As an Object Modeler, you have the visual and technical skill set with passion to hone the Player Experience. As a creative, you can solve problems autonomously and excel in a collaborative environment. Your skill sets include hard surface and organic models including machinery, household items, furniture, creatures, sculptures, vegetation, and more. You hand paint textures and optimize for best performance while maintaining a high standard of visual quality. Though your passion is creating visually compelling assets, you are also comfortable working in a technical environment that includes problem solving with Animators and Engineers. You exhibit strength to operate with autonomy while remaining open to peer collaboration and feedback from Art Direction. You will report into our European Senior Development Director.
- Model and texture hand painted, high quality assets adhering to The Sims 4 art style
- Rig and skin deforming assets for Animation
- Apply various shaders and tune object lighting for desired effects
- Co-develops with non-art disciplines to prototype visual targets and to assess and improve assets
- Debugs and writes occasional bugs
- Maintains technical and aesthetic coherence with the Sims brand
- Creates documentation and communicate requirements
- Provides estimates, delivers to quality and maintains desired schedules
Skills and Experience:
- 4+ years professional experience in art game development
- At least one shipped title in the role of Modeling or equivalent on PC or major console
- Stylized art authoring similar to The Sims 4
- Proficient in industry standard software like Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter/Designer, Marmoset, and Photoshop
- Strong time management and communication skills
- Strong understanding of scale, proportion, and material properties
- Experience rigging and skinning hard surface and organic models
- Efficient vert allocation and usage of UV/ texture space
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent sense of form, weight (mass), and volume
- Good understanding of how light and shadow defines shape and form
- Proficiency in hand painted textures
- An understanding of optimization for game engines
- Excellent sense of quality and craftsmanship
- Strong traditional art skill in drawings or sketches
- Passion for making and playing games
Nice to have:
- Product knowledge and familiarity with The Sims franchise
- An eye for industrial design, architectural design, and historical art periods
- Good understanding of general construction details and terminology
- Experience working with Unreal Engine and implementing 3D work into the pipeline
More About Maxis:
Many team members have a tenure of over a decade. Here are some top reasons folks join our team and stay:
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Work life balance. We work diligently to ensure we make incredible products while prioritizing our team member’s wellbeing. We uphold a people first mentality.
- Commitment to diversity. We take immense pride in the diversity of our team members. We know unique perspectives and experiences are critical to our success as a team in order to produce the leading simulation game in the world.
- Creative autonomy. We firmly believe good ideas come from anywhere. Joining the team means contributing to the whole production process, from concept through final in game experience.
- Purpose. We provide meaningful content that impacts our player’s in game and real world experiences, motivating us to push the boundaries of what’s possible.
- Community. We thrive at Maxis because of our incredibly supportive and creative colleagues and players that bring fun and positivity into doing what we love.