3D Art Lead - League of Legends
Hong Kong, China
10 days ago
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing more than 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. On top of this, we’re currently building teams for Project A, a character-based tactical shooter, and Project L, our take on the fighting game genre.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our goals to build a world-class studio in a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams. The Hong Kong Studio is looking for talented, passionate people across all aspects of game development to help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world... and to make great games!
We focus on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games. This means less emphasis on titles and hierarchy and more emphasis on creating the right environment to ship excellent experiences to players.
That’s where you come in.
As the 3D Art Lead for League of Legends you will channel your knowledge of concepting, modeling, and texturing to help tell stories through visually compelling characters, creatures, props and environments.
You’ll expand and support a high performing external team, and give them the guidance and context they need in order to deliver amazing models that set industry standards on craft, meet all technical requirements, and match the League of Legends art style. Through a mix of craft training and hands on leadership, you will level up the team’s craft, mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignment, and keep the team motivated towards creating excellent experiences for our players. Using your broad knowledge of art, craft and technique, you’ll set clear goals for your team, and make sure the process of delivering those goals is as smooth as possible for both your team and their stakeholders.
You will partner closely with the product teams and other artists, ensuring that models are not only excellent in a vacuum, but also effectively promote and align with larger products. You will maintain your own craft skills, inspire creativity and keep a high quality bar with hands on 3D work as you deem necessary.
- As overall 3D craft lead on the team, you will oversee the quality of the work the team deliver, and set the bar for excellence
- You will build a world class team by sourcing AAA 3D talent in China, and develop and grow their 3D skills through training and feedback
- You will collaborate with Rioters in Hong Kong and worldwide, to make sure product goals are fulfilled and working practices are appropriate
- You will set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, build trust with your team
- You will drive the development of Style Guides and Process Guides
- You will lead and improve team rituals to support high quality craft and individual growth
- You will accomplish your mission with complete autonomy if the need arises; you're dedicated in finding creative and effective solutions to vigilantly eliminate difficult problems
- Demonstrated ability to create high quality, hand-painted 3D models, including an understanding of how to produce assets which are optimized, performant and bug-free
- Extreme proficiency in art fundamentals such as anatomy, composition, design and color theory
- A clear understanding of the League of Legends art style
- Proven experience leading/mentoring teams and individuals. Growth minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other 3D artists
- Experience giving thorough direction and delivering timely, clear feedback
- A strong communicator and able to convey abstract/sophisticated ideas in a concise way, in English or in Chinese
- Art Leadership experience
- Experience teaching Art, and 3d modelling in particular, on-line or in person
- Familiarly with League of Legends - the game, it’s products, it’s players and community
- Familiarity with League of Legends Characters, IP Universes and Lore
- Mandarin speaker
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio of their work.