2D Environment Artist (Contract)
14 days ago
As a leading mobile games developer, Jam City is looking to “level up” our talent. We’re on the hunt for innovators who consider themselves dynamic, collaborative, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
PERKS & BENEFITS
Unlimited Vacation, Paid Sick Days & Holidays
100% Employee Covered Medical, Dental, Vision Plan Base Plan
Life Insurance, 401k, Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefits & More
Catered Lunches & Well-stocked Kitchens
Yoga & Wellness Activities
Jam City is looking for an Environment Concept Artist to work with us on our mobile game: Frozen Adventures.
The Concept Artist will be responsible for developing high quality artwork and production ready game assets. This position requires a creative, talented, and motivated individual to collaborate with the art team to design beautiful locations for our 3D production.
To successfully execute the role, this person needs to have a solid understanding of perspective and environment design. They will support the development team with designs, textures, and reference to assist in the creation of exciting 3D spaces that feel like they belong in the Frozen universe.
The candidate will report to the Art Lead to define the most appropriate tools, methods and approaches for each assignment. This person will also work directly with our 3D team to make sure they have the necessary plans to build out each location.
The ideal candidate is a creative, talented and motivated individual eager to learn, contribute and grow their skills.
- Provide concept designs for environments and props that fit seamlessly the established look.
- Research period specific designs that fit in the franchise.
- Build rough gray box environments in 3D to test each environment’s layout.
- Deliver work within a consistent production pipeline.
- Prepare designs in a comprehensive package IP stakeholder reviews.
- Build and create game assets up to the standards set by product style guides.
- Collaborate with other disciplines to ensure consistency of art across multiple devices.
- Assist production with decks and presentations.
- Participate in visual critiques and brainstorms.
- Research industry standards and develop new techniques and workflows.
- BA/BFA degree Illustration, Animation or Entertainment Arts or equivalent training or work experience.
- 2-5 years of production experience in games or animation.
- Excellent Adobe Photoshop Skills.
- Basic 3D skills in Maya
- Experience working in a 3D production pipeline.
- Solid understanding of visual design principles: perspective, contrast and color theory.
- Excellent project planning and organization skills, attention to detail, ability to solve creative problems.
- Understanding of mobile gaming, able speak confidently about current games on the market.
- Team player who understands the value of regular and effective communication.
- Affinity for Disney/Pixar
- Passion for video games a must!
- A portfolio of work required
NICE TO HAVE
- Git / Perforce or equivalent source control experience.
- Experience working in Unity.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, & INCLUSION
We believe in creating games that unite people across the world and that showcase our commitment to providing an environment that is both inclusive and diverse for our players and employees. We strive to create a workforce that is reflective of our global player community as we know that we are stronger and better when we play together. To help promote an inclusive culture, we celebrate the visible and invisible diversity of our Jam Citizens through initiatives including Employee Resource Groups, cultural events, trainings, speaker series, and more.
Jam City is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, religion, ethnicity, marital, or domestic partnerships status, disability, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expressions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws. Our management is committed to following this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruiting, pay, and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.
ABOUT JAM CITY
Jam City is an award-winning mobile entertainment studio providing unique and deeply engaging games that appeal to a broad, global audience.
Led by CEO Chris DeWolfe, former MySpace co-founder and CEO, and COO Josh Yguado, former 20th Century Fox executive, Jam City is the creative powerhouse behind some of the highest-grossing and most enduring mobile games. Jam City’s global franchise Cookie Jam has generated more than half a billion dollars, and Panda Pop has more than 120 million downloads to date.
The company also is the go-to studio for Hollywood, having developed immersive, narrative-rich mobile games around iconic entertainment brands. The company’s popular RPG game Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery was the #1 game in more than 40 countries at its launch in April 2018.
Jam City has nine studios located in Los Angeles (HQ), Berlin, Buenos Aires, Bogotá, Burbank, Cedar Falls, San Diego, San Francisco, and Toronto.